The fabulous day in my honor yesterday reminds me just how amazingly lucky I am to be traveling full time with such a wonderful family. It’s hard to pick a favorite Father’s Day memory since the day was so special from start to finish, but I can say that my eyes lit up when I saw Five Spice’s Orange Chocolate Chip Muffins make their way onto the table. You can’t go wrong with this vegan version of Nana Five’s tried and true recipe.
Vegan Orange Chocolate Chip Muffins
1 whole orange, quartered
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup apple sauce
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 cup white flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chocolate chips
– Add a quartered orange (peel and all) along with the orange juice to a food processor.
– Process until in a mostly liquid form (some small bits of orange are fine).
– Blend the orange mixture together with the remaining wet ingredients and set aside.
– Mix together the dry ingredients and add to the wet ingredients. Combining until just mixed.
– Stir in the chocolate chips and scoop the batter into muffin tins.
– Sprinkle the tops of each muffin with sugar.
– Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.